When I first started following the Paleo lifestyle, I really didn’t think I’d miss my buns and starches come dinner time. After all, I love meat and I had tried to avoid starch at night so I figured I was good. I was very wrong. So when the grilled eggplant or lettuce wraps stopped working for me, I found these: broccoli fritters.
I found the recipe on paleoomg.com, but I tweaked it a bit based on my own taste and experience. Since most paleo recipes only give you one component of a meal, I figured I’d give you the full story since I have a trigger happy husband that likes to take pics of everything.
The Menu: Broccoli fritters topped with grass-fed burgers, sauteed leeks and bacon, with grilled broccoli and dipping sauce.
This makes 2 to 4 big fritters, they can be saved and reheated later. I’ve never had any leftover, but if I did I would top with bacon and poached eggs for breakfast in the morning.
- 1.5-2 cups shredded broccoli stems (the more you have the more moist they will be). I like the massive broccoli that way the stem is big and thick and easier to grate. Save the florets for grilling or sautéing on the side.
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (or add any spices you want — ie. Chili powder, chipotle, thyme, sage, rosemary, bacon — I know it’s not a spice but it’s good).
One. Grate your broccoli (this can also be done in a food processor).
Two. Mix your dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, spices) in a bowl. Then add the rest of your ingredients and mix well.
Three. Heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat with bacon fat or coconut oil. Form the fritter to desired size with your hands or spoon. Place the ball in oil and flatten slightly.
Four. Cook the fritter for about 3-4 minutes, if it browns too quickly turn down the heat. Use a spatula to flip and then cook for another 3 minutes.
Leeks and Bacon
I’ve been getting leeks every week in my CSA box, and although I love them, I forget to cook them. So this time I put them to good use.
- 1 leek, tough green stems chopped off
- 2 slices bacon, cooked halfway
- fat — olive oil, bacon fat, coconut oil, etc
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar = 2-3 dashes from bottle
One. Thinly chop leeks width wise and rinse of dirt.
Two. Chop your bacon.
Three. Heat fat in pan over medium heat. Add leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, as the moisture evaporates add the vinegar. Cook for 4-5 minutes total until it starts to become translucent then add your crumbled bacon.
Grill your burgers and broccoli. Mix paleo mayo and siracha for dipping sauce. Place broccoli fritter on plate and spread some of the dipping sauce on the fritter. Add your burger on top and finish with your leeks, bacon, and broccoli on the side. It’s massive so you might want to use a fork and knife. I used some lettuce cups after cutting to scoop up all the flavors together.